Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Providence's Magical Waterfire, A Bonus for Savory City Travelers!


Saturday was a Waterfire evening here in Providence and I, along with my son Jesse (see, right) and some friends, was lucky enough to be there (videos below). What magic! Those of you who have been to a Waterfire know it is nearly impossible to describe the experience in words. For those who may not have heard of Waterfire, it is an event that takes place several times each summer in beautiful, historic downtown Providence, R.I. Waterfire features one hundred sparkling bonfires, the fragrant scent of aromatic wood smoke, flickering firelight on the city's arched bridges, torch-lit vessels traveling down the river, and enchanting music from around the world (click here for more). While I live here in Providence, whenever I go, I am somehow surprised again by the experience. I'm not at all surprised, however, that National Geographic Traveler magazine has named it one of only 20 "must-see" events in the United States! (For the first-hand experience of a first-time attendee, a writer from Travel Writer's
magazine click here).

So, as I continue to savor my Waterfire experience, I could not be more thrilled that our final Savory City ~ Providence tour (Sept. 18-20) falls on a Waterfire weekend! Meaning: anyone lucky enough (and quick enough!) to book one of the coveted remaining spots on that tour will not only dine at Providence's fabulous Italian Federal Hill restaurants
(more on that later!), learn how to prepare local cuisine during an al fresco cooking class, and take a day trip to gorgeous Newport, R.I., but they will also experience the unique magic of Waterfire! (Waterfire weekends regularly draw 70,000+ visitors and sell out hotel rooms throughout the city). What a fabulous weekend it will be! Hope to see you then...





No comments:

Post a Comment